DA BIG POWER BREAKFAST
Puka Egg (Bird’s Nest)Toast with Hawaii Salsa
Makes 1 serving
1 slice of whole wheat or multi-grain bread
1 tsp. vegetable oil
Fresh Hawaii Salsa (see recipe below)
1 Tbsp Shredded cheddar cheese to make the “nest” around the egg
¼ cup Cilantro, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat griddle or small skillet over medium-low heat.
2. Cut a round out of the center of the bread using a small cup or glass and
3. Oil hot pan and place the bread inside. Crack an egg into the hole cut out in the
4. Cook until the white becomes opaque.
5. Gently flip over to continue cooking to desired doneness.
6. Toast bread cut outs on both sides in pan. Serve as toast with prepared egg.
7. Top with salsa and grated cheese and serve.
Hawaii Salsa (Serves 10)
2 Hawaii tomatoes, chopped
½ Sweet Maui or Ewa onion, minced
1 Green bell pepper, minced
1 clove Garlic, minced
½ Lime, zested and juiced
1. Combining all the ingredients except cheese and cilantro in a mixing
2. Mix well and chill until needed.