Sit less, move more!
Television, video games, smart phones and computers are now a part of all of our lives. They are entertaining and can help our children learn. But too much screen time, such as watching TV or playing electronic games, can be unhealthy. Kids who spend a lot of time on screen time activities are more likely to have health problems. Encourage your family to sit less and move more.
Tips for your family
- Set time limits on screen time for the whole family. Stick with the limits.
- Be a role model. If your kids see you following the rules, they'll be more likely to follow
- Enjoy meal time as family time
- Turn off the TV during mealtime
- Limit phone calls and texting during meal time
- Try keeping the TV, computers and videos out of the kids? bedrooms
- Make one day a week a "Turn Off the TV Day" in your home and do something else with the kids, read a book or take a walk
- If your family really likes video games, try those that make you move such as Dance Dance Revolution, Wii Fit, Dance Central, Your Shape, Kinect Sports
- Encourage your kids to read. Share the joy of reading aloud to the kids.